I’ve been busy at my new job and most of my free time has been devoted to gaming, so I haven’t kept up with the blog. Now that my first year at the new place is officially over, I have more time! I bought a number of manga these past months, so it’s time to tackle the task of posting the backlog.
Since I’ve been inactive for a while, I did some minor housekeeping around the blog, such as fixing links. My bookmeter unfortunately broke when the site updated, so I removed the cover version for now. There was some interest in those updates previously, so they can still be followed by clicking the (also broken) total to visit the bookmeter page directly or visit the reading progress tumblr. I update the tumblr regularly and casually rank on an entertainment scale of “great” to “shit.”
I’m so far behind that I had to review a few titles just to post comments here. Since it’s been so long, I’ve finished reading most and have something to say about them. I’ve read a lot of good manga and it’s impossible to cover them all, but I can point out a few worthy titles. Here’s some of my favorite purchases from the past few months. I included a few crappy phone snapshots of particularly eye-catching pages.
- Shuuten Unknown 3 -Lots of development in this volume. We learn more about the boys’ pasts and watch everything break down. Gorgeous work as usual. I love her stuff more than anything else. The new volume is out soon, so I’ll have to make another order. I’m starting to crave a reread of Koori. Koori was one of the first raw series I bought, so it’s been a while.
- Bouzu Kawai ya Kesa Made Itoshi 2 – This was a tense volume. Miroku is having trouble keeping his cool and no longer matches the ideal in Daimaru’s head. I really enjoy this series and Honma Akira’s style. Usagi Otoko Tora Otoko Volume 3 when?!
- Nodoka no Niwa 1 – This definitely needs to be added to the top of the oyaji romance list. For the record, the man is a 64 year old professor. Professor is a common job for these oyaji–where’s all the hot ones in my life?! This manga is just gorgeous and needs to be seen first-hand. Akiyama Kaori is becoming one of my favorites. The new volume is out–I must get it!
- Hon no Koi Nado 1-2 – I need to add this one to the oyaji romance list if I ever update it too. It’s a slow burn romance with some comedic moments. I like the lead. She’s a professional, serious woman who is charged with managing a (in)famous author who is a handful. Unlike most, she’s not an instant admirer of his work. This is the first time I’ve read this mangaka and I like the lovely artwork and layouts. Aren’t the covers adorable? The concluding volume is out very soon. I’d read this mangaka’s work again.
- Koi to Gunkan 6 – Everyone is fighting in this volume. Please stop fighting! What kind of heartbreak did I sign up for?
- Ojikoi 2 – I’ve been waiting to pick up this volume for a while. It’s the end to a good older man romance series. I’m benefiting greatly from all this oyaji love seeping into shoujo manga lately.
- Oyajina! – Otaku no Shiro-chan no Baai – Another Oyajina volume! This is labeled as the last volume, so I’m kinda heartbroken. It will always be one of my favorite series. This volume focused on the fujoshi classmate, Shiro-chan, her male otaku friend, and her classmate who is a self-appointed rival. It’s more Oyajina which makes it the best.
- Ore to Hero to Mahou Shoujo 1 – One of the currently publishing magical boy series. In this one, a young man wants to be a hero, but his transformation turns him into an unexpected type a hero: a cute magical girl. He can play the desired role of hero, but has to learn to deal with being so adorable while doing it.
- Mahou Shoujo Ore 1-2 – Another magical boy series. In this one, a young girl turns into an incredibly muscular young man while wearing the standard magical girl outfit, skirt and all. This one is cracky and amusing, particularly when the best friend character turns into a super creeper and a muscular magical boy as well.
- Onna no Yuujou to Kinniku 1 – This manga is true to its title: A Woman’s Friendship and Muscle. It follows the daily lives and friendships of three women. That part is pretty normal and charming in itself. What stands out is that the women are incredibly built and muscled. Their physiques put many male superheros in US comic books to shame. There’s plenty of gags related to this, but their feminine side is not taken away and they still dress up in cute skirts and heels. The manga uses a 4-koma format. The art is very raw and sketchy, but it works with the overall style. I really enjoyed this. I want more.
Here’s a batch of titles that are mostly continuing shoujo or josei series from Hana to Yume, Margaret, flowers etc.
- Ginzatoushi to Kuro no Yousei ~Sugar Apple Fairy Tale~ 2 – Cute fantasy series. I wish it was more than two volumes long considering there’s so many light novel volumes. I’m a bit too lazy to bother reading light novels though.
- Ore Monogatari!! 7 – Love this series, but the story is taking a long side-track to hook up Suna. It was kinda nice not having the best friend forced through his own romance arc, but all shoujo manga must go through the phase of pairing off every single person I guess.
- Ane no Kekkon 8 – The end of the series. I want to reread/revisit before finishing this volume.
- Sensei Kunshu 3-4 – I’m curious to see where this one is heading in the future volumes. The developments so far have my attention.
- Dame na Watashi ni Koi Shite Kudasai 4-5 – Curious to see where this one is going too. The new volume is out soon.
- Akaya Akashiya Ayakashino 5 – This was licensed recently.
- Taiyou no Ie 11-12
- Tsukikage Baby 4
- Kamisama Hajimemashita 19-20 – Tomoe is perfect.
- 5-ji kara 9-ji Made 9 – This is a consistently fun train-wreck.
- Kirara no Hoshi 12 – This series is almost done.
- Liar x Liar 6 – Are they gonna bang yet? I will keep typing this comment for this series until they bang. If they don’t, I’m burning these books.
- Bread&Butter 2 – Another romance manga with an older lead. It’s not my favorite, but it’s okay. It’s somewhat slow and needs to develop more. It starts out focusing too much on side characters/their plots instead of the main characters themselves. Perhaps by volume 3, it will develop them better.
- Haru x Kiyo 4 – Cute series. I like short, saucy guys. Read it if you’re not already.
- Neko to Watashi no Kinyoubi 6-7 – Trashy, but kinda entertaining. I’ve been reading this mangaka for about 15 years, so it’s nice to check in every now and then. Shit, I just realized it really has been 15 years.
- Hirunaka no Ryuusei 11 – This series just needs to end so I no longer have to endure Mamura as a main character. It’s coma inducing at this point.
- Last Game 6-7 – The characters in this series are precious. They’ve developed well over just a few volumes. I’m looking forward to more.
- Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji 11 – I’m glad we’re out of the uncomfortable teenage sex peer pressure arc. Moving on!
Here’s some more manga, including a few new series, some single volumes, and other continuing series.
- Orenchi no Furo Jijou 4-5 – I lagged behind in this series as soon as it got popular. I still need to finishing reading this. Volume 4 started out with an all color short chapter.
- Sumika Sumire 1-2 – I’d love a manga with an older (I’m talking 50+) woman as the lead, but having one stuck in a teenager body is probably as close as I’ll get. It’s also full of hot Takanashi Mitsuba men. I’ll take it.
- Dorothy wa Gokigen Naname? 2-3 – I got this because I enjoy Hoonoki Sora’s cute art style. I still need to read the last volume. It’s a good light fantasy manga read.
- SK8R’s 2 – This manga is a good way to enjoy Tojitsuki Hajime‘s character designs. I’ve read the first volume, but haven’t finished this one yet.
- Deep Water (Shinen) – Shimizu Reiko! This is a thick book, so I haven’t sat down to read it yet.
- Kore wa Koi no Hanashi 11 – The final volume. The ending was fine and tied up everything nicely. However, I might start skipping “epilogue” chapters. I swear they just tear away any unique personality a manga had before to conform to the same mold of pairing off any runner-up love interests and babies. Yawn
- Anata no Koto wa Sore Hodo 2 – Another series I’ve put off continuing because I forgot what was going on.
- Yankee to Yandere no Karera ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai – This manga was kinda funny. The “yandere” guy was popular, but had eyes for no one except the (far too young) sister of the other lead who was kinda a pervert. The yandere guy was always stalking or scheming to get closer to the sister, including paying off an old granny so he could “help” her in front of the sister to look cool. Amusing.
- Unmei no Onna no Ko – This volume is a bit big, so I haven’t finished it. Beautiful cover with foil details in the woman’s eyes.
- Bunbougu Waltz – Short stories that give human form and personality to different writing tools that witness their owners’ lives. Typical brilliant Kawachi Haruka.
- 31 Ai Dream 1-2 – More Tanemura manga. This one has a 31 year old woman revert to her 15 year old self and tries to recapture all those lost opportunities as a hot young girl (because 31 is like having both feet in a grave already?!). I’m rooting for a romance with the older friend.
- Honey * Buddy – This manga is predictable, but it’s fun enough and has cute art. There’s an old-fashioned delinquent type, complete with an out-of-date uniform style, poofed hair, and a barely hidden heart of gold. There’s another delinquent who is a hot, smooth playboy with lots of piercings. Yako happily bounces in-between them while turning red and sweating a lot. The oneshot is good too. A girl’s crush becomes her step-brother, but she sees this not as defeat, but as an opportunity to ensnare him. Hijinks commence for both his and our amusement.
- Nakajima Nakajima 3 – The end! Solid Nishi Keiko manga, but not her best. This also marks the end to the family love triangle series I was reading. There were several ongoing ones at one point!
- Ichika Bachika – A short story collection from Ishikawa Chika. I enjoy her humor, so it was decent. I prefer the longer stories though.
- Kouban PB 1 – More Koban is always a good thing. Nice colors on the cover again. Funny as always.
- Papa to Onii-chan to Watashi – Trashy oyaji smut. Sometimes you just want something trashy.
And lastly, here’s the BL manga from the orders.
- Tokyo Shinjuu – Anta no Dorei no Mama de Ii – New Tokyo Shinjuu volume!
- Ever After – est em gives a modern spin to fairy tales like Cinderella and Kaguya-hime, but with 100% more hot guys. Beautiful as always. Some chapters are short, but she always manages to make the story engaging even with limited pages.
- Mabayui Hikari 1 – This is a new series by Tanaka Suzuki. It’s one of the oddball ones. I’m not exactly sure what’s going on yet, but there’s an alien invasion plot forming. I’m quite fond of her odder, imaginative titles, so I definitely want to see how this develops.
- Rakuen Sentai BL V – This manga is all about a BL sentai team. The art is downright wonky at times, but that’s kinda expected from Sankakusha Pie. I don’t read her manga while expecting beautiful artwork. Instead, I expect funny shit and this delivers quite well. It’s crazy, cracky BL.
- Aitsu no Daihonmei 8
- Hatsukoi Energic Lotion – Hot, built older guy on the cover. Sold. My tastes are not complicated.
- Boku no Itoshi Kijima-kun – The ugly cute manga series where the “ugly” guy is actually better-looking than the “hot” guy due to the art style.
- Kijima-kun no Abunai Hatsu Date
- Ginger Honey – Spin-off of Devil’s Honey manga featuring the younger brother, Minoru. Typical Natsume Isaku manga (which isn’t a bad thing!). I recently purchased the SuBLime release of this in English.
- Mabataki no Aida 1-2 – A manga that focuses on a painful unrequited love that has to change into something else for everyone’s sake. Despite one of the leads being 29 years old, it has all the markings of an oyaji romance manga: old man face, old man facial hair, a daughter, a dead wife… close enough to oyaji status!
- Dorobou to Hatsukoi – Naono Bohra consistently makes enjoyable BL manga and this one is no exception. It didn’t stand out greatly from her other stuff, but it’s still good.
- Shishunki Blood Monster – Another addition to Mishima Kazuhiko’s vampire stories. It was fine.
- Super Lovers 7 – I need to catch up on the latest volumes. I’m so behind.
- Koh Boku – Plenty of hot old guys.
- Nigeta Hitsuji no Tsukamaekata
- Ten Count 2
- Ryouomoi Nante Joudan ja Nai!!
To be honest, I actually received my first manga order of the summer last week, so even though I posted all of these titles, I am still technically backlogged. I can’t win! However, it’s less overwhelming now, so I should catch up soon.